Thursday, January 3, 2013

2012 Pop Culture

It's been real 2012 and you've given some awesome pop culture contributions but there are a few things I'm hoping won't follow us into 2013.


YOLO. It makes no sense and you sound like a ridiculous 13 year old girl who's trying way to hard.  I hope YOLO stays behind in 2012 where it belongs.


Speaking of YOLO, Swag and Cray are two other things I hope stay behind.  I honestly don't understand what the big deal with "swag" is but I don't like it.  If I wanted a guy with "swag" I would troll the unemployment line and see how that worked out for them. And as for "cray", I can't handle anything Kanye West has had to do with lately.


Now that I've mentioned Kanye, I must say I cannot stand this whole Kim and Kanye or "Kimye" thing.  Now that Kanye went and knocked up Ms. Kardashian I have a feeling that I'm going o hear more and more about this train wreck.   Does she even know that she is still legally married? I hope that when I'm ready for a child and can get knocked up by boyfriend of 6 months and that it doesn't interfere to much with the messy break up of my 72 day marriage.


Twilight. I know this is a somewhat controversial subject.  Twilight has a huge cult following of die hard fans but I never got on the bandwagon.  I prefer stories that empower women and send a message to young girls about being independent and not relying on a man. Needless to say, I'm happy that the Twilight movies are over and hopefully the craze will die down and girls everywhere will realize that it's weird to be so codependent on your sparkly vampire boyfriend with control issues and a pension for stalking.


Taylor Swift.  I'm usually a fan of her songs but her relationship drama is a bit much.  She's had over a dozen relationships over the past few years and then writes songs bashing her relationships when they are over. It's kind of like that one girlfriend we all have who sucks at relationships, but can't stay single and when things take a turn for the worse you have to listen to her sob stories. I just think someone who is as influential as Taylor, should be writing songs telling girls to be more independent and to not let relationships define themselves. I know it's inevitable but I can't say that I'm looking forward to her next single "Wrong Direction".

I know this might all be a bit harsh but after a year of having YOLO, Kimye, Twilight, and Taylor Swift shoved in my face I must say I need a break.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips